Thursday, March 17, 2011

pick me up.

I'm not much of a dessert person, 
in fact sweets aren't much of my thing, but I do have a soft spot for Tiramisu.
A popular Italian cake, Tiramisu literally means "pick me up."
I was once told that the origins of this cake dated all the way back to the Crusades.
During that time of war, when food was scarce,
the wives would gather leftover coffee grounds and dried bread crumbs
to fashion a cake for their husbands who were going off to war.
The soldiers, in difficult times, would be able to "pick up"  the cake
and find comfort in knowing that a loved one was awaiting their return.

As an adult, I know now that this story has no credibility.
However, it's still an incredibly sweet tale.
I mean, I would've totally missed out on a great dessert otherwise.
Yes, it would seem that I do have a heart somewhere.

No comments: